Every day Metro brings millions of people on public transport and elsewhere up to date regarding the latest news. The Metro editorial board works web first, which means that the latest news is available first on the (mobile) website and via Metro’s social media channels. The printed version offers Metro readers the previous 24 hours’ most important news and the most-read online articles in a mix of information and entertainment.
Combined with the digital Metronieuws.nl the newspaper reaches over 6.2 million people (44% of M/F over 13 years of age). Metro’s popularity via digital channels and social media is growing considerably: 3.2 million people are reached via Facebook and the number of unique website visitors increased by 93% (July 2015 compared to September 2014, source: Facebook, Google Analytics). In the period 2014-II/2015-I, 5,918,000 people (42%) read the Metro newspaper, 975,000 people (7%) visited Metro digital, and 700,000 people (5%) used a newspaper/digital combination.
Metro is the only free newspaper in the Netherlands. More than 1.1 million people read Metro at the start of every day on the train, tram or bus. The newspaper opens with news pages supplemented with regional news in the Amsterdam and Rotterdam regions. As well as daily sports news, Metro also contains six pages of entertainment columns, in which experts bring readers up to date with news, background gossip from the showbiz, media, film, games, music, fashion and lifestyle worlds.
Metro offers advertisers various opportunities to generate additional attention value via:
- Branded content pages / column
- Sampling at stations
The effect of these options can be seen in the videos below:
The Metronieuws.nl (mobile) website keeps visitors up to date 24 hours a day. As well as the latest domestic and international news and economy, sports and entertainment news, Metronieuws.nl offers much-talked-about columns, blogs, reader offers and more. Metronieuws.nl also issues regional news from Amsterdam en Rotterdam.
Metronieuws.nl visitor numbers have grown explosively. Since January 2014, visits via desktop have almost tripled to 1,711,000 unique visitors per month (source: Google Analytics July 2015). Visits to the mobile website have more than quadrupled to 3,688,525 unique visitors per month (source: Google Analytics July 2015).
To a large extent, Metro readers’ media consumption takes place via social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat are therefore important traffic generators for Metro. Metro has substantial numbers of regular followers in various channels:
- Facebook.com/Metro 443,500 followers; (2017)
- Twitter.com/Metro 39,750 followers; (2017)
- Instagram.com/metro 18,300 followers (2017)
- Metronieuws.nl achieved 93% more unique visitors in July 2015 compared to September 2014. (Sept 2014 2.8 million unique – July 2015 5.4 million unique);
- The number of online video views increased by 97% last year from 762,000 views in July 2014 to 1.5 million views in July 2015 (index 197);
- The number of Facebook likes increased by 146% over the past year from 96,000 likes in September 2014 to 236,000 likes today (index 246);
- On average a Metro Facebook post reaches a total of 3.2 million people.
(source: Google Analytics, September 2015)